2009年6月28日 星期日

The Stock Market is People



Just want to share with you the wisdom of Bernard Baruch (1870 – 1965), a very wise speculator and several times presidential adviser.

"I doubt that anything I write will change this. To many persons Wall Street will always remain a place to bet and gamble. Still, the stock market is far more than an air-conditioned indoor race track.


Actually it could be termed the total barometer for our civilization. The price of stocks – and commodities and bonds as well – are affected by literally anything and everything that happens in our world, from new inventions and the changing value of the dollar to vagaries of the weather and the threat of war or the prospect of peace. But these happenings do not make themselves felt in Wall Street in an impersonal way, like so many jigglings on a seismograph. What registers in the stock market’s fluctuations are not the events themselves but the human reactions to these events, how millions of individual men and women feel these happenings may affect the future.

Above all else, in other words, the stock market is people. It is people trying to read the future. And it is this intensely human quality that makes the stock market so dramatic an areana in which men and women pit their conflicting judgments, their hopes and fears, strengths and weaknesses, greeds and ideals.

Of course, I did not know or even sense any of this when I first went into Wall Street to work as an office boy and runner. I made my full quota of mistakes – being ambitious and energetic, probably more than my share. One could say that my whole career in Wall Street proved one long process of education in human nature.

And as I moved into public life I was to find that what I had learned about people from my speculator days applied equally to all other human affairs. Human nature remained human nature whether it stood bent over a stock ticker or spoke from the White House, whether it sat in on the councils of war or at peace conferences, whether it was concerned with making money or trying to control atomic energy. "

Bernard Baruch, My Own Story, Buccaneer, 1957, p.84.

2 則留言:

  1. 其實股票市場就係一個捉心理的遊戲,什麼基本分析圖表分析都只是參考工具,誰能夠準確掌握(甚至影響)股票市場的心理,誰就是贏家。

    回覆刪除
  2. 歡迎Bittermelon前輩的到訪,也謝謝前輩在博客的分享,讓我們常有獲益!

    講牛熊市講得最簡單,應該是科斯托蘭尼(André Kostolany)那句:金錢 + 心理 = 趨勢.

    我覺得市場好似一座山,基本分析、技術分析、宏觀分析都是不同的角度去看這座山.

    回覆刪除